China Beijing attractions, Jingshan Park introduced.

About Us | Contact Us
Tel: 86-773-2851898

Jingshan Park

                   ---------The top of Beijing Parks

Jingshan is an artificial hill in Beijing, China. Covering an area of more than 230,000 m², and spans across both the Xicheng District and the Dongcheng District, Jingshan is also immediately north of the Forbidden City on the central axis of Beijing. Originally an imperial garden, it is now a public park, known as Jingshan Park

The 45.7-metre high artificial chinese hill was constructed in the Yongle era of the Ming Dynasty entirely from the soil excavated in forming the moats of the Imperial Palace and nearby canals. It is especially impressive when one considers that all of this material was moved only by manual labor and animal power. Jingshan consists of five individual peaks, and on the top of each peak there lies an elaborate pavilion. These pavilions where used by officials for gathering and leisure purposes. These five peaks also draws the approximate historical axis of central Beijing.

According to the dictates of Feng Shui, it is favorable to site a residence to the south of a nearby hill (and it is also practical, gaining protection from chilly northern winds). The imperial palaces in the other capitals of previous dynasties were situated to the south of a hill. When the capital was moved to Beijing, no such hill existed at this location, so one was constructed. It is popularly known as Feng Shui Hill. It is also known as Coal Hill, a direct translation of its old popular Chinese name (Chinese: 煤山; pinyin: Méishān).

The last emperor of the Ming Dynasty, Chongzhen, committed suicide by hanging himself here in 1644.

Jingshan is especially a popular China parks for elderly people socializing and gathering. One can often find elderly folks dancing, singing opera and doing other cultural activities at Jingshan.

Jingshan Park with the Forbidden City
Jingshan hill is separated from the Forbidden City by the palace moat. However, until 1928 the park sat directly by the moat and was accessible on the south side only from the Forbidden City via the Gate of Divine Might. In 1928, a new road (New Jinghshan St) was built to the north of the palace moat. This fully separated Jingshan Hill from the Forbidden City. The Gate of Divine Might became the back door of the Palace Museum, and the front gate of Jingshan Park now stood to the north of the new road.
The street addresses of both the Forbidden City and Jingshan Park are on New Jingshan St.

Tag:Beijing Park ; china theme parks